Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Spring Green Coat!

After five years, my white winter coat was looking a little worse for wear. Dry cleaning wasn't doing the trick anymore and it just looked dingy. In a panic, I searched eBay and found the same coat in black for a steal and bought it. And then I found it in white and bought that! But what to do with the dingy one? Here's a good shot of the coat when we visited Meat in Louisville, KY:


With my collection in place, I figured I had nothing to lose, so why not dye it green?! I bought two bottles of liquid Rit Dye in kelly green. The directions online were pretty easy. My aunt, MaryLee, generously offered up the services of her washer and we got to work. I used about 1.5 of the bottles, but wished I had just used both. When it first started running through it looked like a very dark, forest green!
 

This is how the individual pieces turned out, though. It's still wet in these photos and a little splotchy. Batman is helping it dry. 

It's a little hard to tell, but the lining turned into a lovely shade of pale blue! How perfect!

Now Batman and Lenny are helping it dry. 

Detail of the wrist straps with new buttons.


I didn't like the look of the original white buttons on the now-green coat, so I replaced them with navy buttons. The final product turned out to be the perfect spring coat!









No comments:

Post a Comment